Re: [NTLK] Screen Misalignment and request for fixes

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 10:20:38 EST

On 04/03/02 10:11, "Sean Luke" <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu> wrote:

> I have recently purchased an MP2100 which is very nice except for one
> very serious annoyance: the screen doesn't align correctly to the pen in
> all locations. It will align great near the X's when you do the
> pen-alignment program, but it gets off by several millimeters over near
> the latch. I'd have figured some combination of "misaligning" the X's
> except that it's this nonlinear distortion only near the latch.
>
> Okay, so here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know of a quick fix for this?
> 2. If not, does anyone know of the cause of this, except for "bad
> screen"?
> 3. How common is this?
> 4. Does anyone know of a program that will fix this?
> 5. <assuming all 1,4 are "no"> Does anyone know what the screen
> alignment API the program is using? Perhaps I can hijack it and write a
> program that's a little more sophisticated.

I think this has happened a few times in the past. I would guess, based on
previous comments I read, that there is something putting some pressure on
the touch screen, near the latch. If it's constant, i.e. it's always off
around the latch, I would think it's a hardware problem. If, after
re-aligning, the problem disappears for a little while but come back, then
it can be a combination of both software/hardware.

But, based on your description, I would say something is causing a slight
pressure near the latch which fools the touch screen. It might be some
debris located underneath the case, or it might also be that the case has
been slightly deformed.

The definitive fix would be to send it to Apple for service, which would
cost you $180 plus shipping, *IF* Apple decides to repair it...

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs as
a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many hackers
still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada (depending
on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost anything
that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a
language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is almost
too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from
C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has said
in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207),
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get
out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]