Re: [NTLK] LucentWavelan driver update?

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 16:28:51 EST

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> I don't know who might be working on the driver right now. I've did a
> little bit of exploratory work a few months ago, but then "lost" my ABS,
> so I had to put that on the backburner. Hiroshi doesn't work on the
> driver anymore, I think. He certainly didn't make any update over the
> last year or so, although I'm not sure since I did try his driver
> sometime last year and it didn't work with my more recent ORiNOCO
> (WaveLan) card.
>
> I started working with Hiroshi released code, but I also contemplated
> using part of the code that has been used to write the ORiNOCO driver on
> OS X, using the NE2000 example that is provided with the Lantern DDK.

Out of curiousity, do you have Hiroshi's source code?

If so, how hard would it be to change the existing driver so that it
uses port (not channel) 1 instead of 3? IIRC, that *should* be
sufficient to put the card into Infrastructure mode and allow it to
connect to a base station or IBSS group.

If so, then it might be a enough of a solution for those of use with
home networks. The likely problem would be that the Newt would want to
connect to the "closest" base station (i.e., the equivalent of setting
the Network Name to "Any").

<<<john>>>