Re: [NTLK] Ethernet questions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 12:22:09 EST

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> 1) Will the ATLAN driver presumably run with any NE2000 card or is it
> hardcoded for certain ones? I have a Kingston EtherRX (KNE-PC2T) which
> is a nice generic, low-power NE2000 card that I have used with an HP
> 200LX. Should it be recognized by the ATLAN driver?

No, but people already mentioned how to get around this. At least until
the Universal NE2k driver is out...

> 2) I also have a 3Com 3C589C with the combo dongle. Assuming I only use
> it on a 10BaseT network, would I have power issues because of the combo
> dongle? Sould I be looking for a 10BaseT only dongle?

Shouldn't make too much of a difference, however trying to use the 10Base2
connector will drain your battery *very* quickly.

> 3) Assuming both of the above will work, is there a *preferred* card to
> use? If this were a PC, I'd go with the 3Com in a heartbeat, but is the
> Farallon driver that much better?

*scratches head* I don't think so... I've used both a DE-660 and a
3c589D, but I use the 589 more because it just has a 6' cable and not a
dongle.