Re: [NTLK] Ethernet questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 14:25:15 EST

I've always been partial to the DLink 660 card,
especially when I got my first one for $25! I just
purchased a second one for $37 (includes shipping)
that I use for my NPDS server. I specifically chose
this NIC because it was the first NIC that was
identified to work on an accellerated Newt. And since
I always planned to accelerate my Newt (see:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed) this was the
obvious choice! Although Stephanie has identified a
3Com card that works as well...all you gotta do is
ignore the error it gives and it apparently works. Of
course, the D-link is not anywhere near a Low Power
card, it does have a low-power "stand-by" mode that my
Newt doesn't seem to mind, and heck, my Newt is always
plugged in whenever surfing!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- John Ruschmeyer <jruschme_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
> > On 11/03/02 10:52, "John Ruschmeyer"
> <jruschme_at_mac.com> wrote:
>

> >>1) Will the ATLAN driver presumably run with any
> NE2000 card or is it
> >>hardcoded for certain ones? I have a Kingston
> EtherRX (KNE-PC2T) which
> >>is a nice generic, low-power NE2000 card that I
> have used with an HP
> >>200LX. Should it be recognized by the ATLAN
> driver?
> >>

> > No, the driver has to specifically announce what
> card it supports. If you're
> > familiar with NTK, you could start with the NE2000
> project and create a new
> > project, providing the string that your card
> advertizes when it's inserted.
> > Then, it would be a matter of putting that string
> in a specific place in the
> > duplicated project, compile and install. Assuming
> the card would work with
> > the commands in the NE2000 project, that is...
> >

> Understood. Now, if I could just find the source.
> It, like the WaveLAN
> source, appears to have been removed.
>

> >>2) I also have a 3Com 3C589C with the combo
> dongle. Assuming I only use
> >>it on a 10BaseT network, would I have power issues
> because of the combo
> >>dongle? Sould I be looking for a 10BaseT only
> dongle?
> >>

> > I don't know about this one.
> >

> >>3) Assuming both of the above will work, is there
> a *preferred* card to
> >>use? If this were a PC, I'd go with the 3Com in a
> heartbeat, but is the
> >>Farallon driver that much better?
> >>

> > I haven't heard that any driver would be better
> than the other one.
> > Actually, I think there are drivers for the 3Com
> that need the Farallon
> > driver to be installed...
>

> IIRC, the 3C589C needs both the Farallon driver and
> a 3Com "enabler" to
> be installed.
>
> I think I was really wondering how good a job the
> driver did of using
> the 3Com hardware. IIRC, the 3c589 is a lot better
> hardware than an
> NE2000, but it's still only as good as its driver.
>
> Thanks...
> <<<john>>>

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -