[NTLK] best pen for Newton - reprise

From: Darl Singh (darl_at_xpress.net.nz)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 15:14:27 EST

Following on from this topic a short while ago - a different take:
I manage an Engineering shop and have 'converted' the rest of the Management team to Newts - 3x2000's and a 120.
My Foreman broke the nib off his standard '2000 pen yesterday, so we went looking for alternatives: came up with 2.
We machined a tip from ea material, fitted one to his pen, one to my backup (2x00 series) pen:

UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene) - softer than PTFE, but not as nice a writing 'feel' IMO - tended to
'grab' a little. Phill liked it more tho - thought it felt more 'pencil-like'.
PTFE ('Teflon' or one of a number of other tradenames) - much softer than the original pen tip (think this was PVC?) and
smooooth to write with - actually a nicer feel than my Cross Digital-Writer: I am a convert!

This is not a job for the 'home handyman' unless you have a lathe - but if you do, I _heartily_ recommend it: for the
first time in about 4 years, my Digital Writer has been dumped from the pen silo with this mod replacing it.

Email me direct if anyone wants the 'quick 'n dirty' instructions: this really is a very smooth, somewhat soft pen that
has a better feel than (many of) the alternatives and has to be better on the screen than the original (usual caveats re
cleanliness etc).

-D