Re: [NTLK] Macintosh Help!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 03:06:21 EST

on 3/10/02 4:30 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com wrote:

> Not necessarily, if you switch virtual memory on to just MB more than your
> physical memory you won't experience any slowdown and the memory consumption
> of your system will dramatically decrease. If you combine this with a
> 'spare' system (switch off all that you don't need in Extensions Manager)
> and you shouldn't have so much of a difference compared to system 8.
>
> One caveat, you'll have to switch off virtual memory for quite a few sound
> apps.

If this computere were my main or only system, I wouldn't want to bother
with this much effort. OS 9 takes so much heap, compared to 8.5.1, that it
just isn't worth it for me (or, in our case, my wife) :-) 9.1 has some nice
features over 8.5 or 8.6, but nothing worth the hassles of the extra
heap--and her computer isn't getting any more RAM. This, of course, raises
the question if it's worth paying the money for the ram for this older
computer? I suppose that if it were re-usable, then it might be worth it,
but I don't think this is true...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland