Re: [NTLK] A data point on NTK and Mac OS X

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 01:56:36 EST

Laurent Dandelin sez:

> I've never thought someone would go through the pain of serial when Ethernet
> is available. Sorry!

        No argument there, Laurent! None whatsoever. Ethernet totally
rocks, when it's available and when it works.

        Way Wong has noticed that it does not always work to his PowerBook.
Sometimes the PowerBook must be rebooted, sometimes the Newt, and sometimes
both, to get it to work with NTK. It seemed flaky to me.

        Besides, there are many people who don't have a functioning Ethernet
card for their Newt.

        And on the third hand, of course, even if you have an Ethernet
card, you need a serial connection if you brainwipe your Newt, or otherwise
lose the set of packages needed to support Ethernet.

        I should explain that I didn't do this serial-line digging with
NTK because I think it's the most desirable way to go. I did it because
for some of us, it's the most stable, and because not everyone has
Ethernet capability. If you can do your development via Ethernet, by
all means, go for it.

Mike O'Brien