Re: [NTLK] eMates, 130s, 2100s, PowerOn, a lot of stuff

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 04:39:54 EST

> What computer. We don't need no stinkin computer! ;-)
As I entered school the first men (an American) stepped onto the moon and in
my 7th grade the pocket calculator reached our country and was expensive but
affordable.

> We had electronic typewriters -- does that count? :-o
I got the mechanic typewrite from my grandmother which had a black and red
ink ribbon. That was supa cool.

> BTW, I was very happy to get a 4 function calculator with % and memory
> when I was in the 8th grade. The 9 volt battery lasted about 20 minutes.
> But it sure beat using a slide rule.
The slide rule was the only allowed tool in math exams until I finished my
undergraduate school. During studies we could use pocket calculators but not
in exams. The tasks in exams used either no numbers at all or simple number
which gave an even result. We were allowed to use even numbers in
calculations, e.g. PI=3, g=10, mass of electron=9E-31kg and so on.

> You guys are lucky!
My kids (13 & 17) got now scientific calculators, desktop computers, cell
phones, radios with CD-player and tape recorder, electric and acoustic
guitar, 21-speed MTB, their own rooms and so on... They are just average
kids not happier or unhappier then their buddies. Switzerland has one of
highest suizide rates in Europe, especially of young people. Something is
drastically wrong in this world...

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand