[NTLK] when I was a kid...

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 07:14:56 EST

Sushi writes:

>BTW, I was very happy to get a 4 function calculator with % and memory
>when I was in the 8th grade. The 9 volt battery lasted about 20 minutes.
> But it sure beat using a slide rule.

I remember a Popular Mechanics article I read when I was in the eleventh
grade which was titled "Now -- a four-function calculator for under
$100".

I sometimes hold my Newton up in front of my classes and tell them
that when I was an undergraduate, the computing needs for the entire
faculty were covered by a single mainframe with about the same central
processing power and amount of core memory. --PR