Re: [NTLK] Newton as a PHONE?

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 08:00:43 EST

No.
Considering the standard analogue phone you would need a Mike connected to
this analogue line - Newt's Mike is connected internal to an ADC (Analogue
to Digital Converter).
You would need a speaker connected to that analogue line - Newt's speaker is
connected internal to the output of an DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter).
In order to perform a tone dial you would need to apply the dial tones to
the analogue line - Newt puts them on the internal speaker (ok, you could
use the audio autput via the NIC).

What I could imagine is an adapter box, interfacing with the standard
telephone line and having interfaces for a Headset (Mike and Earphone) and
an input for the dial tones coming from the Newt. This interface box should
also provide some kind of bell in order to signal if you are called (at this
time there might be up to 40V ac on the line)
So you would use the Newt as a phone book, to dial the numbers and to store
some info about the calls you made (built in calls application).

This might be disillusionating, but I see no point to use the Newt as a
phone having all this mobile toys around. An IR connection from the Newt to
mobiles seems more reasonable.

Johannes