Re: [NTLK] OT: More cool Apple Newness

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 12:27:58 EST

The way I look at Bluetooth (I had an opportunity to
play with a beta demo at the 1999 Wireless world in
Las Vegas) is kinda like a wireless storage. You have
your PDA with all your information stored on it and
your cell phone makes a bluetooth connection to find
phone numbers. Beyond that, I don't really see any
real use for it...perhaps to sync your pda with your
laptop...but heck, I don't sync! Everything is on my
Newt (I'm not he boss of anyone so I don't need to
import anyone else's schedule)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>
wrote:

> * Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> on Wed, 20 Mar 2002
> | I find it strange that D-link advertises it as a
> | "Wireless USB Bluetooth adapter for Macintosh"
> | Looking at the specs, there is nothing
> specifically
> | "Mac" about it!
>
> Except the software.
>
> Personally, I think Bluetooth has a niche as a
> replacement for short range
> IR communications -- which is pretty much what it
> was designed to replace.
> Using it for medium range, trying to compete with
> 802.11, is kinda dumb.
> It really doesn't have the power/range for that.
> --
> Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net> \ Do not taunt
> Happy Fun Ball.
> Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \
> PGP Key: at a key server near you! \
> That and five bucks will get you a small
> coffee at Starbucks.

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -