Re: [NTLK] 3-Com E'net slow

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 15:06:46 EST

Andy Collins wrote:
> The reason I was wondering about the speed is that I've been having
> some trouble with MadMax pausing when I play MP3s over e'net and I
> wondered if the speed was an issue. 1kB/s seems v/slow to me when I
> think that rs-232 on the Newt will happily do ~3.6 kB/Sec.

I think Ethernet speed should be more like 10-20kB/sec... but remember
that MAD Max has really small network buffers, so any network congestion
is most likely to cause playback to skip. You could avoid this by using
a proxy server in between that buffers a large amount of data before
streaming it to the Newton. Such a proxy would be pretty easy to
implement, probably a couple of lines of C code. The NHttpLib library
which MAD Max uses already has proxy support.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --