Re: [NTLK] The "Right" Newton

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 11:26:03 EST

> I haven't yet purchased a Newton, but have been very impressed with the
> knowledge on this group. I'm a writer and am thinking of getting a
> Newton for the following daily chores:
>
> --calendar
> --contacts
> --to do lists
> --note taking (probably the heaviest use)/brainstorming
> --connecting to both a PC and a Mac
>
> My question, which I couldn't find addressed on the FAQ, is whether I
> can get by at that usage level with an MP 130 or if I should go the
> 2000/2100 route. I realize a decision like this is very personal, but
> there's still a good price gap between the models.
>
> If I'm not checking email, surfing the web, etc. do I need the power of
> the 2100? Are MP 130 accessories/parts far scarcer than those for
> 2100s? Opinions appreciated.

Being a former 130 user I think I should throw in my opinion ;)
The 130 is a wonderful machine and very sturdy. Of all Newtons, I like its
form-factor best. It fits into the inside-pocket of my jacket, it fits into
my cargo pants, and it fits my hand very well. The flip-back cover is very
convenient, and it runs endlessly with one charge.
One can use it very well for the basic PIM functions, and I also used it for
extensive note taking. In portrait mode there is enough space to write, and
if you do not want the ink to be translated into type right away, you are
fine. You will run out of memory after a while, but you can just start
another note and that's it.
If the 130 would not have been so very useful and impressive, I would never
have invested $750 for my current 2100.
The problematic part is that the HWR is quite slow, even if you just
translate something you have finished writing before, and for a quick writer
with a bigger handwriting, the display gets too small too soon, and the 130
develops the mentioned problem catching up.

The 2100 feels ten times faster in everything it does. The slowest, most
accurate HWR setting is still much faster than the 130 at an acceptable
level (at 50% accuracy), so you can have instant ink->type transfer if you
want. The screen is much bigger and has a higher resolution allowing you
more text per screenpage. Perfect for note taking. You can have more exiting
gizmos (AirPort!) as well, and Ethernet of course, which helps a lot. The
form-factor, IMHO, is not as good as with the 130, I prefer to put my 2100
down on a desk or me legs for extensive writing. It is bigger and heavier,
and you will most likely carry it in a special case to protect the coating.

At an average $150 the 2100 is *dead cheap* these days for what you get, but
if money is a factor, start off with a 130 that comes with a 4-6MB memory
card, the serial cables for Mac/PC, AC-adapter and possibly charging cradle
& screen protectors. Do not invest too much in 130-only accessories (as bags
etc. are concerned) and see if it fits your needs.
If you like it but feel a need for more power you can still get a 2100 and
sell the 130 or keep it as a rolodex/notepad by the phone as I do with my
OMP.

To be honest, once you have used a 2100, you will not look back. Sometimes I
would love to have the 2100 power at size&shape of a 130 (with a high-res
display), but not very often. Mostly in the pub, when my friends whip out
Palms or iPaqs, because that's a place where my 2100 would never go on the
weekend.

Oliver :)

--
Visit my site @ http://www.t-online.de/home/oliver.brose/