[NTLK] varietyshop newton impression from canada

From: Alex (admeddemda_at_f-m.fm)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 16:23:39 EST

Just thought I'd update the list on my experience with buying a cheap
newt 2100 from varietyshop on ebay, and having it shipped to canada.
The newton arrived in fairly good shape.... so far seems fine
physically... the backlight isnt as bright as the one I picked up
from Mr2ndhand, but it does have both back door clips, which is nice.

I must say the only thing I am unhappy abt is the shipping... but
even then I cant really complain, bc they are one of the few sellers
(or the only one?) willing to ship to canada. They charged me $25US
for FedEx shipping, but the package arrived some 2 weeks later via
USPS/CanadaPost, with a postage cost of $8.30US. So I paid three
times the postage rate.... I enquired abt the switch from fedex to
USPS, and was told really nothing abt it, except that USPS is a long
drive for them and I should be happy to get the newt at such a cheap
price. (still dont get why they didnt just use fedex then).

Anyway, still, in the end, abt the same price as drop shipping would have cost.
And I shouldnt really complain, seeing how I got the newt and
accessories for $110 (plus the 25 shipping).

Now, can anyone point me to some good sites abt 2100 take apart? I'd
like to switch the case plastics and the sites I've been able to find
dont really give a detailed description of how to crack open the
newt. (just remembering my first powerbook Duo take apart and how I
snapped the plastic tabs at the battery by not reading the technical
manual first.... of course those were fixable with pins and a
lighter, but I dont really want a cracked newt case that wont seat
back together properly).

Thanks,
~Alex