Re: [NTLK] Replace speaker?

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 02:45:48 EST

In principle you are right, it is easy to replace the speaker.
The original speaker has an impedance of 8 Ohms, that means any speaker
providing 8 Ohms can be driven from the Newt.
But I would not really expect a much better sound quality, since first the
size of the speaker is one of the limiting factors and would not change and
second the sound quality is determined by the sampling rate of the audio
signals. The maximum sample rate our Newt can handle is 5 kSa/sec. Compared
with the sample rate of 128 kSa/sec you are used to have for MP3 CD quality
audio - 5 kSa are rather poor and limiting the sound quality in the first
place.

Johannes