Re: [NTLK] Re[2]: GPS serial port checking

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 12:30:05 EST

Am 31.3.2002 17:57 Uhr schrieb "Kent Jonsson" unter <kent_at_sm4tfe.com>:
> Negative, all modem cables gave the same result, printer cables made the
> flashing red from the GPS to stay green (since those cables are "twisted".
I think modem and printer cables are the same, straight cables. Only a
Computer to Computer cable is twisted. You should definitely try the null
modem thing, maybe your GPS is the dog and is wired like a computer too?

> Maybe there is something strange with the port on my Newton. Even though I
> can load .pkg's and back up my Newton through that port.
> Does NBU use some other pins (422)...?
NBU uses physically the same pins as the serial port but with completely
different signal levels and different protocol. Serial and AppleTalk are
incompatible and you can't see anything upon connecting a terminal program
to an AppleTalk connection. If you've set GPSmap to Serial Port and you
start it, it will temporarily disable AppleTalk and reprogram the UART to
become a serial port. If GPSmap is open and you start the Dock it will
complain that the serial port is used by another application.

Do you have an over clocked machine? They don't work at all on Serial and
AppleTalk with the over clocking on but on PCMCIA.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG