Re: [NTLK] Macs (& Newtons) in Journalism

From: Russ Bravo (russbravo_at_lineone.net)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 03:50:03 EDT

Great stuff, Jesse.

I've worked in newspapers for over 20 years and first got into Apple Macs
back in the early Nineties when working as a features deputy editor/sub on
an evening paper here in the UK. From what I remember, we used Pagespeed
for design/page make-up. Then switched to Quark Xpress in my current job,
editing the UK's top inter-church Christian weekly, Christian Herald.

I could really have used a Newt in my early reporting days grappling with a
notebook and pen, and trying to decipher my shorthand! Now I use a
combination of my MP120 and my eMate. Since I'm a reasonably quick typist, I
actually find I can interview someone and type notes on the eMate far more
efficiently than scrawling notes.

One thing I have noticed, though - my MP120's HWR is far more accurate than
on the eMate, where it often comes out in Norwegian :)

Anyone else found that?

Russ, UK