[NTLK] Anybody need a door clasp or two? "Death of a Newt (almost)" <sob>

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 03:17:39 EDT

Tip number 5 for opening a Newt: don't do it to often..

   I managed to kill it finally, or almost kill it. I was fiddling
putting new leads on the speaker, and managed to get it to a point where
it wouldn't turn on at all (telling by the hum of the transformer), or
would turn on and perform a ~3 second diagnostic routine of some kind
(again, telling by the hum) and then turn back off. I reassembled the
entire unit sans back cover, to see if there was some kind of pressure
thing going on, and to my amazement the startup chime sounded.
Unfortunately, the flex cable to the display has a break somewhere in it
(and the little white piece that holds it in it's connector on the board
is partly broken), so the display won't work, or at best display a few
random horizontal lines if I get the cable in just the right orientation
(nor do I don't know how do surface mount work..)

   I've put an order in on eBay for one (and darnit, I WANT an upgraded
2000, becasue the logo is cooler!), and if I get outbid I'll just buy
one of the buy-it-now ones. So I might have some door clips, case
parts, daughtercard, etc to give/sell on the list soon, or a cheap Newt
if anybody wants to go to the trouble of repairing the flex cable.

Jim Witte
jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us