Re: [NTLK] OMP to PC connection problem

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 16:31:20 EDT

On 03/05/02 15:40, "Mycroft" <Mycroft_at_softhome.net> wrote:

> Greetings! I have a problem. I can't get my "new" OMP to connect to my PC. I
> built a cable according to specs from a couple websites (one example is at
> http://www.oldschool.net/newton/pccable.html) and downloaded the software,
> but when I attempt the connection after starting the software, the Newton
> just sits at "Waiting for a response..." and eventually times out. I've
> tried three software programs (NBU, NCU, and one other that I cannot
> recall), and two completely different PCs, but get the same result every
> time. My computer is a Celeron 1200, 512 megs of ram, Windows XP. I've read
> on some forums that fast computers sometimes cause backups to stop in the
> middle of the process, and I've tried slowdown.exe, but it was no help. Am I
> using the wrong software? Do I have the cable wired incorrectly? Does the
> software I use even work on XP?Does anyone with a *real* Newton<->PC cable
> have a multimeter so they can come up with some actual schematics? Help me!
> *sob*

For one thing, you need to make sure you're using "Newton Connection Kit" or
NCK, not the "Newton Connection Utilities", which is for Newton running the
NOS 2.0 or greater, although I think you should have got at least a
connection, since NCU/NBU would allow a connection from a Newton running NOS
1.x for backup purpose only. So, your problem may be lying somewhere else.
Are those PCs fast ones? If so, you might want to give a try to SlowDown.exe
that should be available on UNNA. Other than that, I don't know. I don't use
a PC.

-Laurent.

CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"