[NTLK] battery reconditioning

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 13:44:07 EDT

I have two battery packs for my Newton. One has been in the machine
since I bought it in 1997, and it seems to have become loose or
something -- I take the Newton somewhere, and take it out, and it is
dead. If I jiggle it, or squeeze, or pop the battery out and put it in
again, sometimes it resets, and tells me all power was removed.

The other pack does not have this problem, but it will not hold a
charge for very long, since I bought it as a spare when I bought the
Newton and stupidly never used it. Can someone explain to me exactly
how to recondition it? I have searched the archive without success,
though I know this topic has been discussed before. I am just not
choosing the right keywords.

I also have the original battery cage. If I buy four NiMH batteries,
charge them in an external charger, and put them in the cage, will
this work (as long as I don't apply AC), or do I have to do something
else as well?

Many thanks. --PR