Re: [NTLK] NeXt Newt

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 03:44:40 EDT

>>> I hope that "input tablet" will take the form of a combination wireless
>>> input tablet/handheld computer/computer "companion"/media player known by
>>> whatever name but clearly recognizable as the neXt-generation Newton
>>> handheld.
>>
>>Hmmm, I would guess they mean something like the Wacom tablets...
>
>I don't know... a touch-sensitive wireless iPod would be very interesting.

Or how about a device similar to the OQO running Pen X?

Guys, my guess is that we will never see a Newt/PDA from Apple. But
rather a full fledged portable device which was what the Newt was
envisioned from the get go.

It will be a dockable type device that can serve as our primary computer.
 A simple hot docking system so that you can just plug and go, vice
rebooting.

Right now we can do this with USB keyboards, mice, digital cameras, HD's,
printers, etc.

All that is really missing, is the external display capability.

I imagine that pretty soon we'll see some sort of FW solution. Apple
already has digital displays. Driving one by via FW seems reasonable.

...and a simple external adapter for FW to VGA for those projection
systems and regular monitors that need to be used.

Toshiba now has a 20GB 1.8 inch HD. In a little over a year we've gone
from 2.5GB to 20GB. For most users, 20GB is plenty of space.

Sure those of us with large MP3 collections, pictures, etc. may need
more storage. A 2.5 inch drive (currently up to 60GB) may be an option
as well for a slightly larger system. Then again, those who only need
the extra files at home can connect via the dock/FW to as many as they
need.

There are low power G3's that provide plenty of power for most tasks.

And future versions of X will run faster as more of the OS is moved to
native code.

OS X seams to be more international/multicultural friendly that OS 9.

A Newt 2K sized device that is a true computer, that works well with pen
input, would be awesome.

No need to buy two versions of software: desktop and
Palm/PocketPC/Newt/etc.

For many folks, this would prove to be a wonderful solution.

...and I bet it would sell like hotcakes -- Especially at the right price
points!

Sushi