[NTLK] Re - alkalines

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 19:04:49 EDT

>> I've been using alkalines for some months now. In my case this is way
>> better for the environment.

> ???
> Aren't NiMH or even NiCD batteries always better for the environment ?
> As far as I understand, 1 battery with not such nice content (especially
> NiCD) will still beat the about 1000 alkalines you would use otherwise.

Yeah! I did it! Started yet another off-topic thread. This time on
environmental issues. Thanks, Robert. I knew I could rely on you...

Actually, you are right. And I am, too.

Has Frank suddenly gone completely nuts?

No, far from it...

My brother works in a hospital. Their policy regarding electrical devices is
that any electrical device may only be switched on once per battery set.
From the patient's point of view this is certainly a good thing, and it even
isn't much more expensive considering what a day in a hospital costs in
Germany.
But the result is that they throw away AA cells by the dozen each day
most of which have a capacity of 80% or more. And my brother can
get me as many as I want.
So, says I, of course it is good for our environment to use rechargeables.
But it is even better for it if those alkalines are at least used as much as
possible instead of being buried nearly full.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de