Re: [NTLK] My New 2100!

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 23:41:47 EDT

on 11/05/02 21:41, Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) at burnum_at_mac.com wrote:

> At 5/11/02 8:13 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de) Wrote:
>
>>> Oh. A blank backdrop. <sarcasm>How useful.</sarcasm> So I can trash i=
> t?
>> =20
>> This is really quite useful if you want to save as much heap space (worki=
> ng
>> memory) as possible. Remember that the backdrop is always open, so any he=
> ap
>> memory claimed by the backdrop app is unavailable for other apps.
>
> Oh I see. Hmm. How much is normally available on a 2100... Like 1 MB? An=
> how much does a program like Notepad take up? Thanks

A 2100, depending on the packages you have in the internal memory and on any
inserted cards, has around 300-400 KB of free heap, or working memory. The
rest is used by the system. Every package you have on a card will consume a
little bit of memory. If you have a large card, and have a lot of package,
then a lot more memory will be lost.

-Laurent.

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood (compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).