Re: [NTLK] MP 2100 Battery reconditioning

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 04:54:11 EDT

> This kept the battery 3 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature. The
battery
> continued to fast charge and reached 100% and trickle charge 16 minutes
later.
> Total charge time was 53 minutes. I then allowed the trickle charge to
> continue for another hour.
> Disconnecting the AC, I left the 2100 on, with the back light on, and it
> ran for 11 hours 22 min. before shutting down.
> I then recharged without cooling the battery and the total charge time to
> 100% was 48 min.
> Seemed to work, at least for the short term.
> Any comments?? (Outside of the fact that I have too much time on my
> hands!)
I would still suspect one of the accu cells to be defective or behaving
different than the others. To make shure that the thermistor is okay you
might measure its resistance which should be as following:
36 deg C -> 6.75kOhm
26 deg C -> 9.78kOhm
20 deg C -> 10kOhm
with tolerances of about +/-5%.
If this is true the thermistor is not the reason. It might be simply three
cells getting hot quickly while fully charged. One cell might have high
internal resistance but is still going up in voltage to fool the Newton to
think it is full. Upon discharge it empties quickly but the other cells are
left nearly fully charged.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG