Re: [NTLK] What would have happened to PDA market if Apple had waited?

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 05:32:55 EDT

><<What kinds of PDAs were around at the time the Newton was introduced?>>

Psion series 3 was enormously popular, at least here in the UK. Psion
looked as though it was going to become a widespread standard at that
time. I really don't understand how Psion dropped the ball so badly.
I had a friend who worked there (head of series V marketing), and he
used to take the p*son out of me for carrying my brick. The HWR did
kind of blow him away. He also told me that they sub-contracted
writing some PsiMac connection software to an operation in France,
who delivered fully working software in 2 weeks, and it turned out
that it was just one guy or a very small team. He said the Windows
connectivity took a big team many months and was late. It was an
interesting illustration of how Apple's total platform control made
development harder to start, but easier to finish...