[NTLK] [Going OT because I want to] Re: screen blobs - Newton's rings

From: Joost van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 18:50:18 EDT

On 2002-05-15 08:36, "Jim Witte" <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us> wrote:

> These are called, appropriately enough, "Newton's Rings' (thought for
> Issac (sp?) Newton who discovered them. They're caused by the very
> small gap between the two layers of the touchscreen, which causes light
> to be reflected and refracted in strange ways - I'm not sure of the
> exact physics involved. Flourescent light is worst I think because it
> has spikes in it's spectrum.

Absolutely correct. This very thing is what has for years led many people to
believe that Remo Pinstripe (two-layer) drumheads are filled with oil, since
the patterns look much like the colored patterns of oil floating on water.

This in turn prompted the good people at Evans to actually make drumheads
that are truly filled with oil. They sound like crap.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
Joost van de Griek