[NTLK] MP110 doing really goofy stuff

From: Nathan Tomkins (eu_neke_at_balistic.nswgamers.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 00:53:04 EDT

A friend of mine "donated" an MP110 which he had laying around to me. He
hadn't used it since he got his Palm, but had left batteries in it anyway.
After cleaning away the small amount of leakage from one of the battery
terminals, and replacing the backup battery, I put in some new batteries.
Immediately after the unit got power, the screen just showed a random
pattern of vertical bars. The power switch didn't do anything, and the
reset button just appeared to turn the unit off while it's pressed. Funnily
enough, the hard-reset didn't work either. :-)
I popped the case open and looked very carefully for any corrosion etc.
from the battery leakage, but couldn't find anything. I reassembled it, and
the unit was still doing the same wierd stuff, but with a new pattern of
vertical bars. Every time I remove the power and then put it back again, I
get a new pattern on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea if this is fixable? [I sure hope so!]