Re: [NTLK] trotter

From: Camillus Guhl (cam_at_guhl.net)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 08:21:26 EDT

Roman, I have been using the Option FirstFone (http://newton.guhl.net/new=
ton/fifo/)
with my 2100. The FirstFone seems to be the predecessor of the new GlobeT=
rotter
PC-Card...so there is a reasonable chance the Globetrotter will work in
a newton.

I wrote to the former seller of FirstFone's with Newton drivers and softw=
are,
http://www.novamedia.de, and they wrote back that they will give a try to=

a GlobeTrotter/Newton-combo. Personally I hope to get a trial unit here
in Switzerland at the beginning of June.

In general, all AT-command set compatible PCCard-Phones should work with
the newton, if:

a) The PIN for the SIM-Card in the PC-Card phone is disabled
b) A strong network signal is available (if not the firstfone took years
to find another network and so the dialup-process on the newton side time=
out...)

The Globetrotter tech specs mention "AT Interface GSM 07.05, 07.07, ATD*9=
9#
support" so here we go. The only drawback (if such) is that it sucks up
to 350mA max power(2W, Multislot Class 10 operation)...

Another nice product is the recently announced SonyEricsson GC75 PC Card
(http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=3DGC75) which does triband/HSCS=
D/GPRS
as well or the Nokia D211 GPRS and WLAN PCCard (!) (http://www.expansys.c=
om/product.asp?code=3DD211),
drawback a big antenna (http://www.expansys.com/img/big_D211.jpg) ;-)

Regards
Cam

--
http://www.newtonsearch.net/

From: doppler <doppler_at_mac.com> Date: 2002-05-23 11:44:42 [Download message RAW]

from http://www.option.com/info.htm, i learnt its a dual voltage card, se= ems like it WILL work with the newton. ill try to get one of those in order to review it!

MfG/Regards Camillus Guhl

-- cam_at_guhl.net (home) cguhl_at_lawyer.com (office)