Re: [NTLK] nokia cardphone, ncp2

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 09:07:09 EDT

on 23.05.2002 13:41 Uhr, richard_at_cyberphotographer.com at
richard_at_cyberphotographer.com wrote:

>> if you intend to use the newt/ncp2 combo instead of your cell, i can
>> tell you there is no way you can do that. for incoming calls, the
>> newt/ncp2 constellation sux, besides you need a special program for
>> that.
>
> Were you using Stefan Auweiler's 'Stefan SMS.pkg' from
> http://www.team-auweiler.de ? It looks as though that will solve the
> problem but maybe that was the package that didn't work well for you.
> I would be grateful if you could let me know as I wouldn't want to
> have to keep moving my simcard from phone to phone card and back...

Richard,

My, on eBay acquired Card Phone, has just arrived and I've been trying out a
few of these things.

I've been using NewtSMS+ 1.10 (i.e. "Stefan SMS.pkg") and it does work for
incoming and outgoing calls. A couple of points though:

1. The HTML form for requesting the software doesn't work on any of the Mac
browsers that I tried. Fortunately, it did work with IE6 on Windows 2000
running under Virtual PC.

2. The version of NewtSMS+ that I received is a beta which essentially
timed-out some time ago. It looks as though the author was intending to have
issued a new version by now but has not yet done so (maybe he had more
important "paid" work to do so I don't blame him!). Setting the Newton's
clock back a few weeks, enabled me to continue.

3. The application is really quite nice. I was at first skeptical because
SMS is not implemented as a router for the in/out box. In practice, the
software ergonomics are reasonable.

I've briefly looked at the Newt's current consumption when using the Card
Phone. When "on air", waiting for a voice call, with backlight off, the
consumption is 75-80 mA. During a voice call, the consumption rises to
170-250 mA. Maximum talk times, are not going to be outstanding but standby
time might be just good enough for a working day.

Whether or not the Newton with a big lump sticking out of its side is a real
alternative as a mobile phone, it a matter of opinion!

Moving onto data access, I've had less success. Christian Fiutak's driver
doesn't work for me. I believe that the basic problem is to do with the SIM
card PIN. With my SIM card and/or operator, it is not possible to deactivate
the PIN (Vodafone Germany, previously known as D2). If I use PT100 and enter
AT+CPIN="my pin" followed by my dial string, I can get a connection. If I
used a "Modem Modifier" modified modem script, based on Christian's, but
including the +CPIN="my pin", I always get a "no answer" to my attempts to
dial various ISPs.

Regards,

Simon