Re: [NTLK] Apple and Sharp

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 04:05:19 EDT

> From: hal9000x <hal9000x_at_mac.com>
>
> I was looking at the Sharp Zaurus ZL-5500 with Linu/Java operating
> system and was wondering if you could hook it up to an MP2100 and move
> info back and forth?

besides IrDA for beaming (as someone already tried successfully), ethernet
or wireless might be a possibility (maybe porting a sync tool to Linux?).

> Also, as per the book Defying Gravity - Sharp was
> involved with the Newton. I wonder if we might see something along the
> lines of a further Apple/Sharp collaboration on a PDA type device.

If Apple does ever get back into the PDA space, it'd probably be thru some
kind of collaboration or OEMing. (there were rumors at one point that Apple
was thinking of buying Palm).

> What do you all think of the Zaurus ZL-5500.

I like the device. it still has some rough edges from user perspective
(e.g., sync) but things are improving constantly both from Sharp and its
various partners. pretty active development community -- ranging from Linux
fans who like to build their own ROMS, to those like me who generally stay
out of the shell, and use Java.

there are lots of new apps:
  http://www.myzaurus.com/
  http://www.handango.com/sharp/