[NTLK] I'm so bummed... upper PC card slot blues

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 07:26:05 EDT

Anybody have a similar experience in having one of their PC card
slots going bad? See below how it happen to me. Is there anything
I can check or do to get it working again. I've tried the
hardware reset(s) short of a complete wipe. I've been searching
with Google but haven't found anything related yet...

Does anyone have any resent experience with getting a Newton 2000
or 2100 fixed by Apple or any other service center?

I'm thinking I'd better pick up another used newt as a spare but
I'd like to get original working 100% again. I've kept it in
such good condition...

Regards,
Bernie

"It was going great, I installed the new WavLan b2 driver as soon
as it was announced on the list. I took out the recently bought
Pretec 32Meg card from the upper slot (I always have a 20meg card
in the lower slot) and put in my Silver Orinoco wireless card.
Everything worked great. Read my email, surfed a while. Then I
took out my wireless card and put in my Ethernet card and did a
full backup to my Mac, again no problem. Then took out the
Ethernet card and put the Pretec back in. The newt recognized
the Pretec. I then tried something I never had done before
and backed up to my 20 meg card. It worked fine. Then I decided
to try a backup to the Pretec but I didn't see a backup button of
the card slip. I then tried to move a package to the Pretec and
then got an error telling that the card was write protected. Duh!
  So I pop out the card and moved the micro switch from the write
protect position and re-inserted the card and that's when the
newt did a reboot and after it came back up it refuses to
recognized any card I insert in the upper slot. I've tried a
reset button and moved my 20 meg card to the upper slot but it
was not recognized. It looks like the upper slot has been
damaged. I'm afraid to try and put the Pretec in the lower card
slot for fear it might be the cause. The Pretec is my newest
purchase and was "used in good condition". All the other cards I
own I've had for some time now."