Re: [NTLK] 'real' speed comparison of note taking on MP130, MP2x00

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 13:49:06 EDT

I believe that Sean Luke did some speed tests via WABA
on several different platforms...You might want to
check the archives for this information...
I can tell you that the speed difference is very
noticable between the 130 and 2x00. And even more so
if you run an acellerated 2x00. Sometimes I switch my
A2000UMP to normal speed in order to maintain
compatibility with beaming and keyboard use, but I
don't stay in that mode for long...it's almost
unbearable! I'm so used to 219Mhz, 167Mhz seems pokey!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Donald Winiecki <DWINIECKI_at_boisestate.edu> wrote:
> I'm the owner of an MP120 (OS2), MP2000 (upgraded)
> and eMate (not upgraded). The speed and additional
> functionality of the MP2000 are obviously nice
> things to have. The size of the MP120 is also very
> nice — even preferable in some cases.
>
> My primary use of the MP is for taking notes 'in the
> field,' which are then transferred to a desktop
> computer for further elaboration (I'm a sociologist
> ethnographer). I don't make substantial use of the
> additional features in OS2.1 and the size of an
> MP2000 is just less than comfortable while the MP120
> is about right (whereas the speed of my MP120 is
> pitiful when compared to the MP2000).
>
> I've made a cursory check of available FAQs and have
> not found a satisfactory answer to the following:
>
> How fast is the MP130 when compared to an MP2000 for
> note taking (converting cursive writing to text)?
> If I purchased a used MP130 would I be satisfied
> with the speed of cursive to text conversion? Also,
> how is the MP130's speed when typing through a
> Newton keyboard?
>
> (Note that I'm not willing to separate from my
> MP2000... I just installed Dave Humphreys' SER-001
> and highly recommend it for those who work 'in the
> field' with a keyboard!)
>
> _don

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!