Re: [NTLK] Overclocking 2100?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 15:04:40 EDT

Hmmm, worth the $10 in parts and 1.5 hours of work? Of
course!
No question!
See my page on this:
http://newton.tek-ed.com/newspeed
You will see my two different versions. I am running
my NPDS server without the switch and my main Newt
with the switch.
Honestly, I can't live without an acellerated Newt!
How I ever got along with anything slower is a mystery
to me.
Where do I see the greatest effect? Well, every where!
Everything is faster. Recognition is quicker, web
browsing is faster, NPDS serving is faster, beaming is
faster. EVERYTHING IS APPRECIABLY FASTER! It's not
like, "hey, that happened faster than usual". It's
more like "whoa! is that done already?"
As to things to watch out for...
Hmmm, probably the only problems are that you can only
beam to an acellerated Newt. And you can no longer use
the keyboard. Oh, and speach is very chipmunk like!
But use Fred and the pitch and speed control in the
in/out prefs and you can get close to normal speech.
But, that's what the switch is for...
There was initially a belief that some NICs wouldn't
work, but so far we haven't found any that fail...
In all, the voice of knowledge indicates that
acellerating your Newt will cause little or no harm.
And about corrupting data when switching back and
forth?
Well, I don't switch that often, but I have never had
any problems switching between acellerate and
non-acellerated modes.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Peter Traugot <ptraugot_at_3do.com> wrote:

> This might be a subjective question, but for those
> of you who did it, do you
> feel it was worth the price? Where do you see the
> greatest effect?

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!
- Jay Bush (Bush's Baked Beans)