Re: [NTLK] OT Firewire connection

From: Joost van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 12:50:46 EDT

On 2002-05-29 11:22, "Marco Mailand" <Newton2k1_at_mac.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone connected a MAC and a PC via Firewire?
>> If so, can you please tell me how to get this going.
>
> Summarising previous mails I would like to convey this:
> 1. iBooks and probably iMacs and the TiBook can be brought into target mode
> to allow access of their internal harddisc. This will probably an exclusive
> mode and thus prevent the use of the target machine at all until the
> controlling computer releases the connection.

Any FireWire equipped Mac that has had it's firmware updated since 2000 can
do this.

When the machine is in FireWire Target Mode, it is acting as a FireWire hard
drive, and cannot be used in any other manner until it is rebooted.

> 2. The target mode would be very helpful to e.g. mirror the harddrive(s ?)
> and copy files to or from it. This could be done via Ethernet too,
> especially if one has a 100 base-T connection.

True, but FW Target Mode is much faster than networking, and no software is
needed to transfer files.

> 3. I would not like to connect a Mac in target mode to any other system,
> especially if it is my only 'hot' machine. It is very likely that Windoze
> will write file to the Mac drive and will also ask to modify the disc
> signature and other things like this. I write this only because of my very
> bad experiences with a Rayo IDE-FW/USB disc, connected to my Mac (with
> Crescendo G3 via FW/USB PCI card) as well as to a Win2000 PEECEE. Windoze
> writes a file into each directory for storage of window appearance settings
> and MacOS does the same and leaves several files and folders in each folder,
> which was opened. I writes also two desktop files and tries to index the
> Windoze drive too.

Yes, they both write some files to the disks that are connected to it, but
there is no harm in that. The biggest hurdle in connecting a Mac to a PC in
FireWire Target Mode is that Windows doesn't recognize HFS/HFS+ volumes, and
as such will tell you that the Mac's drive is unformatted, and possibly off
to format it as a FAT or NTFS volume. You won't want to do that.

> 4. Fact is: at the first connection and attempt to view folders on a remote
> harddisc either operating system leaves its crap on the target disc and
> causes a mess of unneeded files in the other file structure.

Unneeded, indeed. But harmless, too.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--