Re: [NTLK] GPS, Maps, PC/CF card

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 08:17:38 EDT

> Great News. I finally got my GPS compact flash card
> working in my Newton using 'GPS Map lite' software.
> It's basically the cheapest card I could find $165USD
> (bought from T-Zone in Shibuya, Tokyo).
Does this mean that you use the CF GPS w/ a PCMCIA-CF adapter card and the
binary protocol driver in GPSlite? This would be wonderful! Someone (in this
case TAXAN) followed driver software recommendations and produced a
compatible product. Or do you use it like a modem card and thus w/ 4800
baud.

> Seems to work quite well. I even made a map (quite
> large) of central Tokyo so that I could test it (It's
> a lttle more acurate than the world Map supplied with
> 'GPS Map'.
;-) How is you Tokyo map? Does it go down to street level and what size does
it have? My Switzerland map is 14.1MB but it is a 1:300000 scale version,
showing main streets in towns.

> Now...wasn't someone on this list talking about making
> a library of maps that work with 'GPS Map' software?
I've a page with Lee Moons sources
http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/LeeMoon/LeeMoonsSources.html
and would be willing to host the GPSmap things. However, it might be
possible that I have to change the URL soon and shift everything to a
private machine.

> If anyone else isn't keen...I'll be more than willing
> to take up the challenge and making a simple web page
> to store and download these maps.What do you think?
It is better to have two or even more pages with the same or even identic
content (mirrored). Sometimes parts of the Internet are down or overloaded
and thus redundancy is desirable.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG