Re: [NTLK] OT- re- QTake200

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 11:33:56 EDT

At 10:47 AM +0100 5/31/02, richard_at_cyberphotographer.com wrote:
>>"imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of
>>work another company could come along and copy your work and market
>>it under it's own name...without legal restraints to such copying,
>>companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the
>>art" -Bill Gates '83
>
>Jim - thanks for that quote. It made my hair stand on end. The irony
>and hypocrisy are delicious.

    Along the same lines, I enjoyed this exchange that took place in
the anti-trust case (quote from pcworld.com):

    "The questions put by states' attorney Steve Kuney during his
cross-examination of Gates were weighted with doubt, skepticism and
even cynicism over assertions that the remedies would cause the
"disintegration"--as Kuney put it at one point--of Microsoft.

    "Questioning Gates about his assertion that the remedies would
lead to cloning of Windows, Kuney asked icily: "Does that somehow not
happen when Microsoft is cloning other people's software?"

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.