Re: [NTLK] re- QTake, was --where have all the good newts gone?

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 13:26:49 EDT

Lui Frimmel wrote:

>Hmmm - AFAIK the CoolPix 700 is not Newton compatible.

Here is a picture taken with a coolpix 700 just now of tibet loading
1600 by 1200 pixel images into my 2100 from one of my coolpix 700's:
http://www.cyberphotographer.com/n/newton/coolpix700tibet

I was then able to email the image (400K) using simplemail but could
not find a way to use newtscape/newtftp to upload to a server so i
may have imagined that in my previous post.

>Comparing the shots from a 700 to that from the 990 I cant see any
>sharpness or skintone advantage for the first one, en contraire.

In my previous post I never said the 700 was sharper. I don't believe
sharpness is the ceiling on quality with current digital cameras,
whereas tone, color, and latitude are. 10x8" prints from the coolpix
700 on good glossy paper look sharp enough. I did however say that
the skin tones are better, and I stand by this. The 990, like all
coolpixes subsequent to the 700 has a tendency to overexpose faces
with flash, to make facial midtones too red, and to suffer from a
color shift towards yellow in the washed out highlights. Fuji users
will also be familiar with these unflattering tonal problems in the
skin tones. Unaltered prints often look awful. I have used Nikon
D1's, Fuji S1's and most of the compact Nikons and still think the
700 has better skin tones than any other digital camera I have used.
Most colour/tone assessment is relative, but skin tones are the one
thing that we judge with perfect pitch, and it makes a huge
difference to flattering someone and making them look well.

>After some 1000 shots I have not seen there is "inaccurate manual metering"

My experience is that if you set a 990 to focus manually at 3 ft it
will focus on 3 metres. Try it.

>Of course you can also use AAs in the 990 and of course anything other
>than NiMh's is the wrong choice for dig cameras.

Unlike the latest models which I believe do not use AA's, sadly. The
other nice thing about the 700 (and I am not sure which other
coolpixes) is that it can use the newton power adaptor.

The basis for my opinions is work I have done for my website
http://www.cyberphotographer.com. I have published something like
50,000 digital pictures there for clients like Time, Microsoft and
JPMorgan.