Re: [NTLK] intro / bluetooth

From: Johnny Haeusler (jhaeusler_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 16:24:27 EDT

>> I am looking for a good gsm/mobile solution. the
>> nokia cardphone works, I hear, but sucks a lot of power.
> It's switched on only a few dozens of seconds up to a few minutes and even
> if it sucks e.g. 250mA that's nothing in comparision to what your following
> proposed setup might need. And you might increase your accu capacity to the
> technical limit by replacement of the original 1100mAh cells with 1800mAh
> cells (factor of 1.64 or 40h instead of 24h use). See also:
> http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/Naccu/Naccu.html

hmm... you're right, I never wondered how much power the other setup might
need.

>> scenario: pcmcia card with usb and a bluetooth usb dongle (or a pcmcia
>> blutooth card for that matter) -> connection to a bluetooth phone.
> I think the whole set-up is to bulky and a simple cable connection between
> Newton and phone is much less prone to malfunction then anything else beside
> that a cable doesn't suck juice :-) I've tried to connect my SL45i (upgraded
> from SL45) to my Newton and connected a standard Newton cable (Mini8-DB9)
> via a Null-Modem adapter (self soldered) to the table charging station and
> it worked, except the ISP settings.

I hate cables. :)

but yes, maybe that's the way to go. I must say that bluetooth is the only
thing I really miss on the 2100 after having used a palm connected to a
mobile phone hidden in your jacket which felt just like wlan everywhere (the
bills feel different, of course).

ok. cable.

thanks for the input! dankeschoen! ;)
johnny