Re: [NTLK] My Newt came.. with a surprise

From: James Mackey (mackeyj24_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 19:24:11 EDT

I would assume the course of action depends on exactly what the information
contains. If it has patient names, then under the HIPAA laws, the government
could slap Merck with a big fine. You make it sound like there is something
very juicy on there. You must decide whether you want a multibillion dollar
drug company hunting you down (did you see the movie "The Insider"?), or you
can pretend it never happened.

JM

>From: Jim Witte >Reply-To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net >To:
newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net >Subject: [NTLK] My Newt came.. with a surprise
>Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:53:46 -0500 >>>Well, I don't have to worry about
filing charges against >PhillyDiscounters, because my new UMP2K came today.
Completely >pristine, with only a couple of scratches I added opening it up
putting >the Ser-001 in (those !#@$ tabs!) >>I also found a surprise: the
Newt was apparently used last by Astra >Merck with a custom app on it for
tracking drug testing - with data >STILL ON IT! I just cannot believe that
they didn't wipe the data off >(actually I can - after seeing the
investigative report on the local >news last week about hard drives in
computers given to charity that >hadn't been wiped of all sorts of sensitive
data.) I couldn't find any >time-stamps on the data (at least without using
ViewFrame), but the app >says 1997. >>Now my question is: should I just get
rid of this and stay quiet, or >should I tell phillydiscounters that he
should wipe the newts he has >left before he sells them, or perhaps tell
someone in the government? (I >can smell a class-action suit against Merck
here) >>Jim >>>-- >Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html >Read the Newton FAQ:
http://www.guns-media.com/mirrors/newton/faq/ >This is the NewtonTalk

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here[1]

--- Links ---
   1 'http://g.msn.com/1HM305401/45'