Re: [NTLK] Character mismatch in NetHopper

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 02:20:08 EST

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 05:43 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> While doing some testing browsing my web site in NetHopper, I realized
> that
> all accented characters on the web site are replaced with other
> characters.
>
> Why is this happening?

Long story:

I has similar problems when implementing Raissa. The Newton assumes by
default that string data that comes over an endpoint like TCP/IP is
encoded as MacRoman. This can be changed when setting up the data
connection, there are translation tables for PCRoman (ISO8859), ASCII
and Wizard (japanese?) encodings. Internally, the Newton uses Unicode
which is a superset of ISO8859.

Now I don't remember exactly how it went, but think that PCRomanEncoding
didn't work on US devices. It works however on German OS 2.x devices.
There is a package out there (UniPCMapper) that lets you install other
mappings and contains the correct PCRoman mapping. Then you'd have to
patch all applications that suffer from the problem to use the new
mapping (shouldn't be too hard). This problem is a candidate for the
patch Paul has already existing (basically, one or two magic pointers
needs to be added).

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html