Re: [NTLK] A quiet observation

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 13:27:05 EST

On 01/11/02 13:13, "Troy V. Barkmeier" <machead_at_mac.com> wrote:

>> The Newton development environment, NTK, won't run under Classic
>> with OS X
>
> IIRC, this broke with 10.1, and the issue has something to do with the
> fact that NTK is hell-bent on pinging for a serial port at launch. I'd be
> curious if any of those with KeySpan USB-Serial adapters have had any
> better luck than the rest of us launching NTK in Classic under 10.1 or
> greater.
>
> Since the NTK source is not available AFAIK, we're probably out of luck.
> This may be a case where those who have connections to the seamy
> underside may want to check with their l33t kraxor friends; these folks
> usually have no traditional programming skills, but they are masters at
> being able to trap and disable calls for serial numbers and dongles at a
> program's launch; it stands to reason that they could do the same for a
> serial port call.

Didn't anybody read my message that I sent yesterday as a reply to the
original poster?

Newton Toolkit is working *FINE* under Classic in OS X 10.2, without any
hardware, period.

You just need to get the TCPSerial extension, toss it into the Extensions
folder of your Classic system folder and re-launch Classic. You shouldn't
have any problem accessing the preferences and set AppleTalk as the way to
communicate with your Newton.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.