Re: [NTLK] optics was OT OSX Dock; started Should I migrate to OSX.2

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:27:58 EST

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] OT OSX Dock; was Should I migrate to OSX.2
> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net>
>
> Nope. If my eye is fixed on the center of something and I slide a
> magnifying glass into my field of view, I don't have to move my eye to still

Look thru a simple, convex magnifying glass - as you move it to the left,
the objects DO appear to move toward the right as the center is magnified.
This is obviously how strong the lens is.
--snip--

> Secondly, a magnifying lens doesn't work anywhere close to the way you
> describe. The magnification doesn't change depending on where in the focal
> plane you are. Magnification is fixed. (Very near the edges, depending on
> the quality and prescription of the lens, there is some region of

Nope. Talking about a simple, convex magnifier, a la Sherlock Holmes. The
center IS the greatest magnification, and it falls off proportionally
(sometimes dramatically) towards the edges. Hold a straight object across
the center of the lens, and as you move it up and down, you see it as
(artificially) curved, this is due to the different amount of magnification
from center to edge.

> aberration, but that's aberration, not a change in magnification.) That's
> why I described the process as morphing -- the icons morph gradually into a
> larger version, quite unlike what a real magnifying lens would do.

Actually I'm impressed with how well they mimic the effect of a large
magnifying glass.

Also, the trick is when the name appears above the icon, it's safe to click
it as it's within the pointer's field of effect.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html