Re: [NTLK] A quiet observation

From: Mike O'Brien (obrien_at_leonardo.net)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 22:56:56 EST

> I am trying to run NTK under MacOS 9.1 (B&W G3) and immediately after NTK
> launches it shows a message: "Could not start the application because of an
> unknown error"
>
> If NTK does not know what happened, could you imagine how about me :-O
>
> Can this also be related with the lack of a serial port and some extension
> as in the case of Macs running MacOS X?

        Yep, that would be the case all right. OS 9 understands perfectly
well about serial ports, but OS X does not. So, when OS 9 runs as a guest
OS on top of OS X and requests a serial port, OS X sort of says "forget it",
leaving OS 9 holding the bag. Hence, "unknown error".

        Since the last message I sent, biting Laurent Dandelin's head off
for being snotty, I downloaded the TCPSerial extension he mentions, which
seems to be a script for running TCP/IP over serial lines under OS 9. My
guess is that it translates a call on an OS 9 serial port into some sort
of call to the TCP stack in OS X, which OS X is perfectly happy to do.

        My apologies to Mr. Dandelin, by the way. I had several hundred
dollars' worth of gargoyles stolen out of my garden last night (probably
a Halloween prank that sent them God-knows-where) and I didn't need added
aggro on this list.

Mike O'Brien

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html