Re: [NTLK] ROBIN BROWN - Shipping Rant

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 07:36:16 EST

on 11/2/02 12:37 AM, john Mantooth at mouser_osu_at_brightok.net wrote:

> I personally feel there is something very wrong with jacking the shipping
> costs up to avoid paying fees owed to
> ebay. Ebay is not stealing their money, It is a legitimate fee ebay charges
> for the listing. There is nothing
> wrong with making companies richer, they are in business for profits, and if
> they do not make profits they go out
> of business where does that leave us the consumers?

This is _very_ true. I live in a rather poor section of Krakow, and a fellow
is going to great lengths to provide full-time internet access here. I want
him to make a _lot_ of money, even at _my_ expense. Why? Because if he
doesn't, and has to go out of business, I will be forced to return to either
dial-up access, which costs me hundreds more (in zloties) a month, or to the
Polish Telecom's "full-time" service, which is also about eight times more
expensive. So, I want him to get rich, rich rich!!! off of me and everybody
else. BTW, he is charging peanuts for the service, but if he charged twice
or three times more, it would still be cheap.

As for companies like GEM or others, who do full-time business on eBay, it
is rather their greed I worry about. They are definitely _making_ money on
eBay, or else they would not be selling. Ebay has provided them the medium,
the marketplace, if you will, for doing business. Were it not for eBay, they
would not be in business, so their trying to avoid paying eBay their proper
fees is what amounts to greed. Making money is not greed, but trying to
avoid paying proper fees _is_ greed. So, if GEM is trying to avoid paying
proper fees, they are the greedy ones, not eBay.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland