Re: [NTLK] Programming 2xxx !

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 18:55:07 EST

on 03/11/02 07:01, Ted Ramsden at tramsden_at_shaw.ca wrote:

> How difficult is it to learn how to build and design simple software
> programs to run on the newton 2xxx systems.
>
> I have a few problems I think the newton would excell at solving !

Well, the Newton uses a specific highly object-oriented language called
NewtonScript. It is based on self, so if you know self, then it might be
easy for you. Most of the apps are usually fairly easy to build. It's a
little bit like HyperCard, where you put graphically your views and such and
then program snippets of code attached to the buttons and other widgets
(that is, if you use Newton Toolkit).

If you never did programming before, it might be a little hard at first. Not
impossible, but hard. There is a Yahoo group discussion for new Newton
programmers. It's NMAP101, and you can find that group in the group
discussion list on Yahoo. It's usually very quiet, though...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

flowchart n.: [techspeak] An archaic form of visual control-flow specification employing arrows and 'speech balloons' of various shapes. Hackers never use flowcharts, consider them extremely silly, and associate them with COBOL programmers, card wallopers, and other lower forms of life. This attitude follows from the observations that flowcharts (at least from a hacker's point of view) are no easier to read than code, are less precise, and tend to fall out of sync with the code (so that they either obfuscate it rather than explaining it, or require extra maintenance effort that doesn't improve the code). See also PDL, sense 1.