[NTLK] More Classic connectivity issues (was Re: A quiet observation)

From: Troy V. Barkmeier (machead_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 17:19:17 EST

>> Didn't anybody read my message that I sent yesterday as a reply to the
>> original poster?
>>
>> Newton Toolkit is working *FINE* under Classic in OS X 10.2, without any
>> hardware, period.
>>
>> You just need to get the TCPSerial extension, toss it into the Extensions
>> folder of your Classic system folder and re-launch Classic. You shouldn't
>> have any problem accessing the preferences and set AppleTalk as the way to
>> communicate with your Newton.

Section A:
Sorry, Laurent - some of us are on the digest. :) My reply and your
reply were both in #744.

And that's great news about the TCPSerial workaround; I was pretty
heartbroken when I upgraded to 10.1 and my NTK stopped working. Once I
finish working through the tutorial, I plan to release scads of pointless
Newton apps...

Section B:
Here's another thing I'd like to know - who's got NCU working with
wireless AppleTalk on Jaguar with a Created Network (Software Base
Station) setup? Anyone? If I set AppleTalk to AirPort under 10.2 System
Preferences:Network, NCU complains that AppleTalk is not available. I
have been able to get it to work sporadically using the following procedure:

1) Set AppleTalk to Ethernet in System Preferences:Network
2) Launch Classic and NCU
3) Change AppleTalk setting in System Preferences:Network to AirPort

This gives me between 15 and 30 minutes of wireless AppleTalk
connectivity, as long as I don't quit NCU or Classic. However, even if I
keep NCU open, Classic eventually somehow "figures out" that AppleTalk is
no longer routing to Ethernet, and I lose the ability to connect
wirelessly. I'm using a Lucent IEEE compatible card in a MP2000u and a
Tibook w/AirPort, and the whole thing works flawlessly if I boot to 9.2.2.

Section C:
Does Backup and Restore of packages using AppleTalk over Ethernet on NCU/
Classic/Jaguar work for anybody? I've increased the memory allocation for
NCU, tried both wired and wireless Ethernet, and I get the same results;
everything appears to be going along fine, but all Restores fail
somewhere during the actual data transfer, and I have to reboot my Newton.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html