Re: [NTLK] Browsers/NanoCAD

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 16:01:12 EST

well, as long as you code your site for the lowest
common denominator, then you should have no problems.
Of course, that would be NetHopper. Stick with HTTP1.0
capabilities and it should work.
Here is what I have found in my experimentation. (my
site, newton.tek-ed.com is completly Newton friendly
irregardless of your browser)
No JPGs, only GIFs...and no animated GIFs either.
No frames (you CAN use the noframes tag though).
No tables (you can use tables because NetHopper can
see data, its just if you use a table for data
organization, NetHopper will return the table as a
list. I use the HR tag to add seperations. NewtScape
can see tables correctly though)
No http or header redirects.
No client side scripting (unless you want to make it
WABA capable. My site uses Cold Fusion heavily, just
none of the Java stuff..)
I'm sure there's more, but you get the general idea.
Note to self...does the meta-refresh tag work with
NetHopper?
Also, keep your code short and sweet. The Newt tends
to choke on fat code. Especially on gratuitous
graphics. Oh speaking of graphics, most Newt browsing
is done with images turned off, so if you have a
special graphic that is used for navigation, use the
ALT tags.
I'm sure that there will be others chiming in with
their experiences...
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Andrew Thiel <aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Browsers:
> Is there a website or PDF or whatever that compares
> and contrasts the
> different abilities of Newt's Cape, Nethopper, and
> LunaSuite? I'd like
> to make my website compliant with all three. And if
> there is no
> comparison chart, I'd like to write one.

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous