Re: [NTLK] Was it something I said

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 13:36:50 EST

Hi Jamal.

It can sometimes feel like that, but I'm sure there is no such blacklist. A
lack of response does not imply malice.

I've noticed that people on the list who regularly post helpful responses
have particular passions, and if you are on one of those topics you're more
likely to get help.

Where stuff falls through the cracks, I think, is where listers know that
there are others out there who have better knowledge of the issue, and where
it might take them a while to come up with a 'helpful' response. An example
might be if you ask for info about certain kinds of software that may be out
there somewhere. If it's very specialized, and/or somewhat obscure, your
chances of getting a response depend on a person who is passionate about it
seeing your message in the time frame you sent it, and that they are
organized enough to be able to point you towards it.

And it can also have to do with time as well. Just keeping up reading all
the messages is sometimes more than I can manage, let alone responding in
any helpful, or meaningful way.

Also, if you're not getting a response, write a polite follow-up and
reiterate your plea. I've noticed that the second (or third...or fourth)
request has a way of triggering the good semaritan in people.

hth,