[NTLK] Ericsson T60d and the Newton

From: Sean McGroty (smcgroty_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 22:21:03 EST

I'm trying to use my Ericsson T60d as a cellular modem on my Newton
2100, and I need some help. So far:

I've tried placing the strings from the .ini driver file I downloaded
from Ericsson into a script with Modem Modifier, but the Newton doesn't
seem to recognize the phone is attached. I can, however, issue commands
to the phone with a terminal emulator, and even dial the phone that
way. The phone appears to use only a subset of the AT command set,
though. Also, issuing the commands used with a T68i (ATDT*98*1# and
variants) causes the phone to attempt a connection, but it is not
successful, returning an "Network not available" message. In the Data
Comm. menu, I've added my dial-up ISP as a connection. (The built-in
WAP browser doesn't appear to use this connection, however.)
Interestingly, the first 3 connection profiles that came built-in do
not allow editing.

 From analyzing the modem string, the &C1 command appears to set the
phone to dial as a data call. I can than use ATDT <number> to initiate
a call manually, but in addition to not knowing how to manually
establish a data connection, the phone appears to be unresponsive to
commands other than dialing after issuing a &C1 command. Also, the
phone seems to reset automatically some time after issuing &C1.

The phone does work with a Windows laptop using the Ericsson driver. I
use the Cingular service and am signed up for their data plan.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html