Re: [NTLK] A heaping of heap questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 22:46:26 EST

on 07/11/02 22:33, John Acuff at jacuff1_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> I have to admit that I don't really understand this "heap" thing myself.
> I see the term bandied about quite often on this list, but I've never
> seen a good explanation of what it really is. My guess is that it is
> something like a swap file, but I would love to hear what it really does.

The heap is a special portion of your Newton that is kept aside by the
system to be used a little bit like RAM on your company. There is also other
portions of the internal memory reserved by the system, and, finally, the
biggest chunk is kept for storage, pretty much like your hard disk. So, the
more heap you have on your Newton, the larger the documents you can create
or the number of applications you can run simultaneously. Yes, you can have
as many applications open as you want, it's just that there aren't a lot of
utility that will let you switch easily from one to another. I use AppMan
from Standalone, which gives me a little button somewhere on my screen. When
I tap on it, I get a popup with all the running apps.

So, more heap, more flexibility...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads to software bloat.